Let’s all make it a point to eat as many different colors as we can this week! Most people have a few favorites that they routinely get in…but are lacking in many of the other colors in the rainbow! Every color has its own nutritional benefits Which is why it’s important to vary your diet and get as many as possible!
- REDS-Contain compounds of anthocyanidins and lycopene…that help your immune system and help reduce cancer risk! Think apples, cherries, pomegranate, red peppers, beets, tomatoes, grapes, and cranberries.
- ORANGE-Orange food contain beta-carotene and curcuminoids that help optimize eye and skin health! Think apricots, carrots, mangoes, oranges, orange bell peppers, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and turmeric.
- BLUE / PURPLE-Blue and purple fruits and veggies contain anthocyanidins and resveratrol which are anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and promote brain health. Think blueberries, cabbage, eggplant, purple cauliflower, grapes, plums and prunes.
- GREEN-Green foods support your liver, are anti-inflammatory and are vital for brain and heart health. They contain compounds of chlorophyll and isoflavones. Think asparagus, green bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, celery, limes, zucchini, leafy greens, green beans and avocados.
- WHITE / TAN-White and tan foods are amazing at optimizing hormone health, are anti-inflammatory, and support liver health! They contain compounds like allicin, potassium, beta-glucans, and fiber. Think mushrooms, onions, garlic, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, coconut, ginger, sunflower seeds, tahini, and whole grains
- TIPS-An easy way to incorporate MANY different colors at once is by drinking a smoothie every day! Look at these amazing color combinations that you can throw in a blender and have a portable meal to go!
Kale / Spinach, Lemon juice, mangoes, pineapple, cherries, berries, ginger, celery, cucumbers, pineapple, bananas, coconut, avocados!
- Keep chopped veggies in fridge for easy snacking!
- Freeze fruit and Kale to make it last longer and easily add to smoothies!
- Expand your horizon! Try a new fruit or veggie color every week!