Did you know that every toxin that your body encounters…whether it comes from food or drink, the air you’re breathing or from the products you use on your skin….must be broken down by the liver in order for purification to happen. You can think of your liver as the primary site for poison control in your body! It is the body’s gatekeeper…. and the health of the entire body is reflected in the body’s ability to filter the blood and detox.
When the amount of toxins exceeds the liver’s ability to detoxify, the body responds by wrapping these toxins in fat for storage….we start accumulating extra fat….the body’s way of protecting us from too many toxins circulating in the blood. For many people, this may be one of the reasons for that resistant weight loss! Having an impaired liver, which increases swelling and inflammation is going to make joint pain, eye issues and skin problems even worse.
The good news is…..the liver has the ability to rebuild and regenerate itself! You just need to show it some LOVE! There are SO many ways to help support your liver so it can function at its peak!
- Be conscious of the toxins you expose yourself to….and make changes when possible, like ditching the plastic water bottles, buying organic produce and grass fed meats when possible, and switching to cleaner personal care items….check out the ingredients on your sunscreen, cosmetics, deodorant and toothpaste and go for the most natural! Do the same for your household cleaners and laundry detergents as well!
- B Vitamins are critical for helping your body get rid of unwanted chemicals and heavy metals. Make sure you are taking a high quality B-Complex Vitamin daily.
- Your liver loves greens, especially bitter greens like cilantro, parsley, mustard, dandelion, and arugula. Add them to soups, salads or smoothies…your liver will thank you!
- Foods rich in soluble fiber….like chia seeds, flax, fruit, veggies, beans and oats help support your liver by binding up toxins and moving them out. Fiber is your friend!
- Milk Thistle with the active ingredient silymarin is my absolute favorite herb to support the liver! It may also help the liver repair itself by growing new cells.
- The addition of cruciferous vegetables helps support the sulfation pathway by removing excess estrogens. Think about adding veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and bok choy.
- Skip the late night snacks. The liver’s regenerative cycle is between 11pm and 3am….and we all know our bodies repair while we sleep. When you are eating late at night your body is having to digest food in addition to regenerating itself.
- Eat only good fats and stay far away from the BAD fats! What are the main BAD fat offenders? Anything hydrogenated…but the two you will see most often in products that you buy will be Canola Oil (Vegetable Oil) and Soybean Oil. Check your labels! And….make sure you aren’t using those oils at home when you cook! They are highly inflammatory. Opt for liquid Coconut oil when baking, Avocado Oil when baking or sauteeing, and Olive Oil when making salad dressings.