Still using Advil or other NSAID’s for pain relief? I encourage you to try a natural alternative that not only works on pain relief but also lowers inflammation naturally! Turmeric, or Curcuma longa is a bright orange spice that contains the anti-inflammatory ingredient curcumin which has been shown to be as effective as other over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs on the market. https://pubmed.ncb
This is my GO-TO for many different issues….sore muscles, sore throat, headache, back pain or any other bodily pain or inflammation! In fact, fighting bodily-wide inflammation is one of turmeric’s main benefits. Here are a few of the other benefits turmeric is known for as well:
- Boosts cognitive function
- Optimizes liver function
- Supports bone and joint health
- Supports heart health
- Promotes healthy mood
- Improves Insulin Sensitivity
NOTE: Taking a Liposomal or a high quality Turmeric supplement with black pepper extract called piperine (Bioperine) is important. Turmeric by itself has a low absorption rate, so look for supplements with piperine or one that is a liposomal formulation because it’s been proven to increase the absorption rate by 2000%!
Why I don’t like over the counter pain relievers like Advil /Tylenol and what you need to be aware of before you take them:
- In 2015 the FDA strengthened the warning that NSAID’s like Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and Naproxen (Aleve) can increase your risk of heart attack or stroke. Aspirin is also a NSAID but does not pose a risk of heart attack or stroke so is not covered under the warning.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is responsible for more cases of acute liver injury in the US than any other medication. It is metabolized in the liver and causes injury by depleting the body of its master antioxidant, Glutathione, which helps protect cells from free radical damage.